Dr. Julie Rowin is an Associate Professor in the Department of Neurology and Rehabilitation at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine. She is also the Director of the MDA Clinic and the MDA ALS Center. She is also the Director of the ALS Association Clinic at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Dr Rowin received her medical degree from Northwestern University in 1993. She Completed her Neurology Residency and Fellowship in EMG and Neuromuscular Disease at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago in 1998.
Dr. Rowin is certified in Neurology, Neuromuscular Medicine and Clinical Neurophysiology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, and she is certified in Electromyography by the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Neurology (FAAN) and the American Association of Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine.
Current research activity includes -
Enteral nutrition in ALS patients with Ventilatory Failure: minimizing the work of breathing. Sponsored by the ALS Association
GM-CSF in the Therapy of Autoimmune Myasthenia Gravis. Sponsored by the Muscular Dystrophy Association/MVP
Treatment of Lambert-Eaton Myasthenic Syndrome and Congenital Myasthenic syndromes with 3,4 Diaminopyridine- Sponsored by Jacobus Pharmaceuticals
Current UIC Clinical Trials in Myasthenia Gravis and ALS
GM-CSF in the Therapy of Autoimmune Myasthenia Gravis. Sponsor: Muscular Dystrophy Association/MVP
Regulatory T cells in the pathogenesis of autoimmune Myasthenia Gravis. Sponsor: NIH/NINDS 1K08NS058800-01
Regulatory T Cells in the Pathogenesis of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Funding is Departmental.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles:
• Rowin J. MR Imaging of demyelinating hypertrophic polyneuropathy. Neurology 2010;74: 1155.
• Jiang Q, Pytel P, Rowin J. Disseminated intravascular large cell lymphoma with initial presentation mimicking Guillain-Barre Syndrome. MuscleNerve 2010;42(1): 133-136.
• Lou JS, Moore D, Gordon PH, and Miller R for the Minocycline Study Group. Correlates of quality of life in ALS: Lessons learned from the minocycline study. Amyotrophic lateral Sclerosis 2009; 1471-180X.
• Wolfe GI, Barohn R, Sanders D, and the Muscle Study Group. Comparison of Outcome Measures from a Trial of Mycophenolate Mofetil in Myasthenia Gravis. Muscle Nerve 2008;38(5):1429-1433.
• Burns TM, Conaway MR, Cutter GR, Sanders DB; Muscle Study Group. Less is more, or almost as much: a 15-item quality-of-life instrument for myasthenia gravis. Muscle Nerve 2008 Aug;38(2):957-63.
• The Muscle Study Group. A trial of mycophenolate mofetil with prednisone as initial immunotherapy in myasthenia gravis. Neurology 2008;71:394-399.
• Mullins L, Carpentier M, Paul R, Sanders D and the Muscle Study Group. A Disease-Specific Measure of Quality of Life for Myasthenia Gravis. Muscle Nerve 2008;38(2):947-56.
• Gordon P, Cheung Y, Levin B, Andrews H, Doorish C, Macarthur B, Montes J, Bednarz K, Florence J, Rowin J, Boylan B, Mozaffar T, Tandan, R, Mitsumoto H, Kelvin E, Chapin J, Bedlack D, Rivner M, McCluskey L, Pestronk A, Graves M, Sorenson E, Barohn R, Belsh J, Lou J, Levine T, Saperstein D, Miller R, Scelsa S, and the Combination Drug Selection Trial Study Group. A Novel, Efficient, Randomized Selection Trial Comparing Combinations of Drug Therapy for ALS. Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. ALS 2008;9(4) 254-6.
• Rowin J. Etanercept treatment in myasthenia Gravis. Ann NY Acad Sci 2008;1132:300-4.
• Rowin J, Cheng G, Lewis SL, Meriggioli MN. Late appearance of dropped head syndrome after radiotherapy for Hodgkin's disease. Muscle Nerve 2006;34(5):666-669.
• Kincaid O, Rowin J. Intracranial hypertension causing polyradiculopathy with prolonged or absent F-waves. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2006;77(12):1384-1386.
• Rowin J, Amato AA, Deisher N, Cursio J, Meriggioli MN. Mycophenolate mofetil in dermatomyositis: is it safe? Neurology 2006;66:1245-1247.
• Tüzün E, Saini SS, Ghosh S, Rowin J, Meriggioli MN, Premkumar C. Predictive value of serum anti-C1q antibody levels in experimental autoimmune myasthenia gravis. Neuromuscul Disord 2006;16(2):137-143.
• Jiang QL, Rowin J: Neuromuscular Junction Disorders. In: Clinical Neurology, 2nd edition. Gorelick et al. (editors). Manson Publishing, Inc. (In preparation).
• Rowin J. The Rationale for Tumor Necrosis Antagonism (Etanercept) in the Treatment of Autoimmune Myasthenia Gravis. In: Myasthenia Gravis: Disease Mechanisms and Immune Intervention. Christadoss, P (editor). Linus Publishing, Inc, 2010, pp. 435-446.
• Rowin J, Meriggioli MN: Proprioception, Touch, and Vibratory Sensation. In: Textbook of Clinical Neurology, 2nd edition. Goetz CG and Pappert EJ (editors). Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 2006, pp. 315-349.
Invited Reviews (Peer Reviewed):
• Rowin J. Approach to the Patient with Suspected Myasthenia Gravis or ALS: A Clinician’s Guide. In: American Academy of Neurology Continuum Series, Myasthenic Disorders and ALS, Feb 2009, pp.13-34.
Published Abstract :
• Rowin J
, Cursio J. Bolus Enteral Feedings May Increase the Work of Breathing in ALS Patients with Ventilatory Dysfunction. Presented at the 59th Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Neurology, Neurology 2007;68(12) suppl 1:A28.